Thursday 9 June 2011

To the horse of a lifetime!

Well the last time I posted on here I so excited and pleased with my XC run on Ahlerich at Chatsworth. After watching Ahlerich trot up sound but a little stiff on the Monday morning after Chatsworth I decided he could have a week and half off and enjoy getting a little dirty and playing in his field. I was busy with exams and it was perfect it gave me time to study and time for him to relax. I didnt have a 3 day planned for this spring and his next outing was going to be Salperton at the end of June so he didnt really need to work hard over the next two weeks.

A week and a half flew by I started hacking Al around the farm and he was very excited with life. His first real day back to work I was a little worried he just wasnt feeling right. I decided to pop him over a little jump, normally when Al jumps for the first time back after competing he rushes through everything and is so excited so I came cantering up to a little up right he added and the jump felt like the worst thing ever. Right then and there I knew something was wrong and it wasnt him just being a little stiff. I was so mad at myself for not noticing this right away after to Chatsworth.

So I had the vet come and look at him he kept getting worse and worse with no work which is very upsetting but after talking to the vet and telling him absolutely everything about Ahlerich I just listen to what I was saying I had a horse of a lifetime who doesnt stop even in sticky situations. Ahelrich doesnt stop and the last two events I had stops in the show jumping in the triple combination I kept telling myself that I didnt have enough canter coming in or I didnt have the right distance but then I thought about it again at Withington yes I probably did not have enough canter to jump and advanced triple combination but at Chatsworth I did and I had a pretty decent shot in, then in click hes in pain it was too big and he really had to sit on his hocks in the triple which was causing him a lot of pain to do. In the end I knew Ahlerich's joints would not hold up to the fitness work that is needed for the advanced level.

I stood there holding my best friend the one thing in the world that knows me inside and out (besides my mom) a horse who had given me the most amazing opportunities at such a young age. I knew that the day would come when my flying piglet would say that his joints had enough at the upper levels... I guess in the end I was hoping that day would never come! I wish I could buy him some new legs because he has a heart of gold and I feel so lucky to have ridden him for 6 years. I hope he gets a chance to share his love for eventing with a kid at the lower levels! I Think I would be the happiest owner in the world watching him teach younger riders! 

So I guess what I am trying say is thank you Ahlerich for all of the amazing times we had together! The last three XC rides were three of the best especially the last one at Chatsworth. That ride will stay with me forever. You opened so many doors for me; young rider team gold, my first horse trial win, my first CCI*/**, my first advanced and my first CIC***, traveling america and meeting some of my closest friends through competing, moving to England and attending university. If it were not for you I have no idea what I would be doing with my life! I look forward to being apart of your next journey where ever that may be!




So as one door closes many more open thanks to Ahlerich!

Meaghan

No comments:

Post a Comment